For all the chatting folks out there, who has lost his or her Whatsapp messages via one way or the other, we are happy to let you know that there are easy ways to recover deleted WhatsApp messages. This tutorial is for those that accidentally deleted a WhatsApp chat and want it back immediately.
Before we venture into the full step by steps guidelines on how to recover deleted Whatsapp messages, you must understand that those mistakenly deleted messages must have been backup. That means, if you failed to enable Whatsapp backup before chatting, then the messages and chat are all gone.
Another important information to note during restoring or recovering deleted Whatsapp messages, is the loss of some recent Whatsapp data. That means, you must uninstall Whatsapp before proceeding.
But you are strictly advised to backup your current Whatsapp data. To do this, launch WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat backup > Select Google on Android and iCloud on iPhone. Having this in mind, let start the process of recovering your deleted Whatsapp messages.
How to recover deleted Whatsapp messages on iPhone
As indicated by Whatsapp, they are not responsible for your deleted chats, they don’t store your chats, neither media section because of its end-to-end encryption but they allow you to backup your Whatsapp chats via iCloud, and you can easily recover that from them only.
WhatsApp will not save your daily data on its servers, so it can’t help you recover deleted messages. However it allows you to backup your chat history and media to iCloud by setting up chat backup on WhatsApp settings. And you can recover your deleted chats on your iPhone:
1. Firstly, you have to uninstall WhatsApp from App store
2. Download and install the Whatsapp and verify your phone number
3. Now follow the prompt to restore your chat history after seeing a welcome notice.
4. All done, just tap on Restore Chat History and you shall get back your deleted WhatsApp messages once the restore process is completed.
After that, all the deleted Whatsapp messages that were automatically backup before the accidents happen will be restored quickly. This steps is only available for messages that were backup before uninstalling the Whatsapp.
Meanwhile, the time frame between deleting, uninstalling, re-installing, verifying your number and restoring your chats backup isn’t being stored your backup source, and any messages received during this period is lost.
Have that in mind. You possibly update your status ‘Don’t message, will be back soon’ before undergoing this process. This will help your friends and families understand that you won’t be around for like 5-10minutes.
How to recover deleted Whatsapp messages on Android
While recovering deleted Whatsapp chats on iPhone is somehow limited, Android methods are kind of extend a bit. You can recover deleted Whatsapp messages using the above method or from local files, which are always stored in your local files.
Like aforementioned, your backup toggle must be on turned before the chats was deleted, to help recover your lost or deleted Whatsapp chats history. If your chats isn’t backup before the deleted messages, then there is no possible way of getting it via this methods.
Via Google Backup
Before you proceed, please backup your current chats history, or you will lost it too. And messages sent between uninstalling and re-installing won’t be regained back.
1. Uninstall your WhatsApp from your Android smartphone.
2. Now go to Google Playstore and reinstall WhatsApp and verify with your phone number.
3. After the installation, you will be prompted to restore, please tap on “Restore”
4. That is it, your deleted Whatsapp messages will be recovered immediately.
Please understand that this option to back up and restore for devices with the same Operating System. And you can’t backup a deleted Whatsapp messages on other phone number. The backup number and recovering number must be the same.
Like already aforementioned, if you never back up before, you are not able to restore the data when accidentally delete. And you are only allowed and expected to restore the whole files on the backup copy.
Also understand that if you skip the restore step when you re-install WhatsApp, you could never restore it in this way. However, if you missed this spot, then you can easily use the below method:
Via Local Files
1. Visit your handset File Manager
2. Go to the WhatsApp folder > Database.
3. Select the file msgstore.db.crypt12 and rename it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12.
– This is your most recent backup file and you need to rename it so as to prevent it from being overwritten. In case things go wrong, you can always rename this file to its original name and restore.
4. Open the file, and you will find a bunch of other files in this folder in the format msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. These are your older WhatsApp backups, you can pick the most recent one and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12.
5. On your phone, open Google Drive > tap hamburger icon (the three vertical lines) > Backups. Now delete the WhatsApp backup there. This will force your phone to restore from the local backup instead.
6. Uninstall WhatsApp, then reinstall and verify with your phone number.
7. As you are completing the installation, you will get a prompt to restore chats from a local backup. Just tap on ‘Restore’
Understand the Whatsapp Database folder contains all the WhatsApp backup files that are stored locally on your phone. However, you are strictly advised to always turn on the Whatsapp chat backup option, if this should happen next time, stay safe.